CITY OF MANASSAS PARK JOB OPPORTUNITY
The City of Manassas Park Police Department is currently accepting applications for the position of Parking Enforcement Officer. The City of Manassas Park is 3 square-miles, incorporated City with a general population of over 18,000. The area is mostly single family residential, with some commercial, industrial and multi-family properties. The VRE station (commuter rail) is within the city center.
General Statement of Job
The essential function of the position within the organization is to patrol the City, enforcing parking ordinances, and issuing tickets for violations as required. The incumbent in this positon will also transport official documents throughout the City of Manassas Park.
All positions at the City of Manassas Park require a customer service mindset, in accordance with the Customer Service related focus of the City.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Enforces and patrols the City for parking violations; identifies expired registration, fire lane, handicap, overtime violations, no City decal, and all other parking violations; assigned to specific neighborhoods within City to monitor for various parking violations and abandoned vehicles; and provides education to the public about parking on both public and private property.
- Testifies in court whenever necessary on cases concerning citation, which are contested and/or unpaid and uncontested.
- Responds to complaints regarding illegally parked vehicles.
- Utilizes the NCIC (National Criminal Information Center)/VCIN (Virginia Criminal Information Network) computerized index.
- Inspects vehicle before towing for damage and remove evidence from vehicles to be towed and transports to the Police Property Room.
- Utilizes mobile data terminals, hand-held computers, and personal computers in issuing citations, retrieving information, and downloading/uploading data.
- Performs minor vehicle maintenance such as checking fluid levels, tire pressure, and ensures the vehicle is in clean condition.
- Directs traffic: Positioned at high volume intersections during power outages and special events; assists pedestrians with crossing streets safely; and directs traffic for road closures and assists patrol; and additional duties as assigned.
- Enters data of parking citations and offender information into the computer system: Assists with the payment process of parking related fines. Prepares special reports as required relating to parking issues. Conducts records checks, sends notices, returns phone calls, and follow-ups. Assist in enforcing evidential laws and ordinances pertaining to the proper acceptance, booking, continuity, storage, release and disposal of evidence. Prepares and processes related reports; utilizes both computer based and physical data tracking and filing systems; and provides customer service to police officers, investigators, outside agencies, and the public.
- Delivers special documents to a variety of sites within the City, such as courthouse, City Hall, DMV, victim/witness, Public Works, and the City Attorney.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Maintains current comprehensive knowledge of policies, procedures, rules, regulations, and laws related to parking/traffic codes.
- Attends classroom training; and maintains required certifications.
Minimum Education and Training
- High School diploma or GED required; supplemented by two years related job experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience, that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities for this position.
- Data entry and basic computer skills is strongly preferred.
- Ability to get along well with others.
- Must possess strong observational skills and the ability to work outdoors for prolonged periods of time during inclement weather.
- Must have a good driving history and knowledge of City streets.
- Some public contact work experience involving record keeping duties is preferred.
- Must possess the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Bilingual communication skills are a plus.
- Must possess a valid Virginia driver’s license and be able to pass a background investigation, physical, psychological and drug screening, and polygraph.
The City of Manassas Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Manassas Park will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
- Requires light work involving standing or walking some of the time exerting up to 20 pounds of force on a regular basis and moderate dexterity in operating machinery, tools, or office equipment.
- The position is exposed to extreme heat/cold, wet or humid conditions, bright/dim lights, dust or pollen, intense noise levels, vibration, fumes or noxious odors, moving mechanical parts, electrical shock, heights, violence, traffic, animals/wildlife, explosives, and toxic or caustic chemicals.
- The position requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, sense of smell, depth perception, and texture perception.
Authorized Hiring Range: $40,439.00 – $44,000.00
If you are interested in becoming a member of our team, you must complete an application form and submit it to the: City of Manassas Park, Human Resources Department, One Park Center Court, Manassas Park, VA 20111 or fax/email: 703-335-1405 / firstname.lastname@example.org
The City of Manassas Park is committed to ensuring diversity in its workplace, and candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
You may obtain an employment application by going to the following link:
You may obtain more information by going to the following link for Human Resources: http://www.cityofmanassaspark.us/index.php/component/content/article/128-about-manassas-park/city-departments/124-human-resources
To be considered for the current hiring process you must have your application submitted to the Human Resources Department. This position will remain open until filled.